Friday, November 19, 2010
Thursday, November 4, 2010
Monday, September 27, 2010
Monday, September 20, 2010
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Thursday, July 22, 2010
It is no big surprise that our energy bills increase during the summer months. Looking for a way to reduce your energy costs while saving money? Turn to these helpful tips to stay cool this summer.
1. Program your thermostat to work around your family’s summer schedule. Be sure to set it a few degrees higher (such as 78 degrees) when no one is home, so your cooling system isn’t cooling an empty house. With proper use, you can save almost $180 a year in energy costs by simply programming your thermostat!
2. Remember to run your ceiling fan to create a cool breeze. If you raise your thermostat by only two degrees and use your ceiling fan, you can lower cooling costs by up to 14 percent. But also make sure to remember to turn your ceiling fans off when not in use.
3. Pull the curtains and shades closed before you leave your home to keep the sun’s rays from overheating the interior of your home. Try moving container trees and plants in front of sun-exposed windows to serve as shade.
4. Start using more energy-efficient lighting choices. Swapping you’re your old incandescent bulbs with more energy-efficient lighting not only uses less energy, but it also produces about 75 percent less heat. This can reduce your cooling bills as well.
5. Add insulation to your attic to keep cool air in. If every American household did so, Americans would collectively save more than $1.8 billion in yearly energy costs… so start insulating those attics!
6. If your central air conditioning unit is more than 12 years old, replacing it with a model that has earned EPA’s Energy Star could cut your cooling costs by 30 percent.
7. Start showering with cold water. During the summer, our body temperatures are much more hotter than usual. Therefore, enjoying a nice cold refreshing shower will help you stay cool, while also saving money and energy.
8. Smear on some aloe vera after your shower and get ready for a nice skin-tingling experience. Aloe vera has a cooling effect once it is spread on, so it can definitely help you cool down. For an even chillier experience, store your aloe gel or juice in the fridge before application.
9. Be sure to dress in clothes that are made with breezy organic cotton. It will help your body stay cool and comfortable during the heat. Breathable organic cotton fabric is the absolute key to warm-weather comfort while also staying green!
10. Eat more juicy fruits! The reason fruit becomes so tantalizing to us during those hot summer days is because our body screams for high moisture content foods. So start snacking on some grapes, berries, oranges, and watermelon… but try to keep your fruit selection local in order to reduce your carbon footprint!
For more helpful hints and tips, check out these two websites:
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
The next time you are in Houston, TX, make sure to add one more place to your must see/visit list: One Green Street. As one of the first of its kind, this store is truly a one stop shop for everything that is eco-chic. Sherry Eichberger founded the boutique with the goal of educating the general public about living a natural, healthy, eco-friendly lifestyle without all the toxins and chemicals found in our everyday lives. The store carries a wide variety of products ranging from environmentally friendly and toxin free furniture to make-up to clothing to everyday household items. Even the building itself is environmentally conscious. It is LEED certified, has energy efficient lighting, takes advantage of the natural sunlight, and was remodeled with the use of recycled materials. The builders even took the materials from the remodeling to reuse on their next project. This boutique is definitely a great place for those looking to live a healthy and organic lifestyle. Make sure to visit One Green Street and bring along your reusable shopping bag! To find out more information about the boutique, please visit http://onegreenstreet.com/index.php .